My son was a late reader. He struggled with reading and therefore had the belief that he hated it. It was a battle to get him to read daily. However, his favorite pastime activity is playing video games on Xbox 360 or various apps on his iPod or my iPad. Which worked out great when we were introduced to Disney Story Central. Now he was able to combine his love for electronics with my requirement of reading. All while exploring his favorite Disney characters and stories.
When we first started using the Disney Story Central app on our iPad my son and I did some reading and learning together. For encouragement I told him for each book he read to me I would read one to him. Plus if he didn’t know a word he could easily click the option to be read to in order to hear it out loud. This helped him have more confidence.
You can watch my full review of the Disney Story Central app via my iPad on YouTube.
About Disney Story Central
- Disney Story Central is the largest collection of Disney digital stories, featuring a wide array of Disney stories and characters that kids and families know and love. The cross-platform experience is available via iPhone and iPad app, tablet-optimized website and Video on Demand (AT&T U-Verse).
- Disney Story Central is designed to encourage kids to develop a lifetime love of reading.
- Disney Story Central gives families the freedom to choose the reading experience that suits them best, whether through an annual subscription service or a-la-carte options, using Disney Book Tokens.
- Customizable bookshelves for each member of the family with personalized reading recommendations.
- A “Browse By Character” carousel lets families easily find books starring their favorite character. spanning all Disney Franchises, including Disney Princess, Disney Classics, Frozen, Doc McStuffins, Cars, and more.
- Personalized book recommendations and character-driven navigation make it easy to find new books.
- Stars, Ranks, and Trophies reward kids for reading and encourage them to keep it up.
- A variety of content for pre-readers, speed readers, and everyone in-between.
- Accessible at home or on the go.
- The subscription service gives kids unlimited access to Disney Story Central’s expansive library of books for $7.99 a month.
A La Carte
- The Disney Book Token system helps parents empower their kids to pick out the books they WANT to read, allowing them to build their own collection of stories, featuring the characters they love.
- Tokens work like currency, in which one token is worth one book and are used to download books
About the Disney ‘Mid-Summer Light Reads’ Campaign
- Disney Story Central’s ‘Mid-Summer Light Reads’ Campaign is running through August 13th
- The campaign will promote weekly summer reading themes featuring selected Disney titles
- Earn badges and unlock FREE Books weekly via the Disney Story Central app!
- Enter the Mid-Summer Light Reads Sweepstakes
What my son loves most about Disney Story Central is the fact he can select books from his favorite Disney movies. Instead of only reading princess stories he can opt for books such as Disney Pixar Cars and Planes or Monsters Inc. As the parent on the account I have the option of giving him as many tokens as I want. Since he is old enough to manage his own books and I don’t have to worry about him wasting his tokens I usually move majority of our tokens over. For younger kids you can manage this so they don’t spend them all in one sitting.
Having the option to list multiple readers is nice for kids of different ages or different genders. This way my daughter can have his girlie stories separate from what my son wants to look at. Plus, the app monitors how many days they have read, how many pages and which books they have completed. I have setup a summer reading challenge with my son.
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.
Which Disney story is your child’s favorite?